FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cars at OGG
Thread: Cars at OGG
View Single Post
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:41 am
ginmqi

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Seriously, your concern is waaaaay over fraught.

Countless people drive this highway every day in a variety of cars, most of which are rental cars. If you get stuck, which is itself a highly unlikely event, the towing charge is on you (no problem with a AAA membership), otherwise it's a very useful and important way to see a wonderful side of Maui.

The road is bad after heavy or sustained rains, something you can determine by the weather forecast before heading out...but if conditions were dry for a few days, it's a great drive with a few chunky spots here and there to be cautious while driving through to avoid the potholes.

I've done the drive a few times myself, no "survival gear" or special training needed, and if conditions permit, I insist on it vs dragging myself back through the hairpin turns of the Hana Hwy a second time.

We had this same issue/discussion on the KOA thread for years - before Saddle Road was re-aligned, every rental co stamped the paper contracts with a big red "Driving Saddle Road is Prohibited" stamp - yet half the cars on Saddle Rd outside rush hour were rentals. Today you cannot take your rental car to the summit of Mauna Kea due to the unpaved gravel section, yet every single car up there at sunset is a rental. There is a huge volume of knowledge online that explains the dos/don'ts and the how-to's of driving these (and other scenic) roads.
Haha, duly noted.

I know that I am a fairly cautious/worried person so anytime I read something online I am a bit more timid. But I do see your point and this is what I probably suspected...that many renters drive anyway and usually it's not a problem.

I may try to at least pick up a SUV or something to help instead of something real low to the ground.