FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA: ORD- SGN in Sept. $560 ~3.1 cpm
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:09 pm
RobOnLI
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by hookthem
To clarify what RobOnLI posted, the $8/$20 mentioned is for a 3rd party (non-government) to get your visa-on-arrival application submitted and processed. My one-year cost over $100 when you arrive in Vietnam ($135 sounds right, though I'd have to look it up). You need CASH. Even if you are approved for a 1-month visa, they randomly decide to make US citizens get a one-year when you arrive (and pay more money). So, 2 passport photos, pre-approval letter, cash, and they'll also send you a supplemental application to submit at the airport (much of the same info that you've already provided).
To be clear...the visa on arrival letter that you pay for is still processed by the government. It is stamped by the government (Vietnam Immigration Department). So while the letter itself does not come from the government, it is still a government official letter with signatures and stamps from the government.

I have two Vietnam visas (as mentioned earlier) and have never been asked to pay up to a higher category. Yes, you must have cash.

-RM