FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How does full fare / fully refundable legacy carrier flying work in the real world?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:06 pm
tuna_hp

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any more interesting facts on any of my questions? Who are the people that get AAirpass? These people that DO fly full fare regularly, do they book as I hypothesized, maybe booking a seat on every single flight over a whole day so that they can just walk on any one?

To explain some of my logic:

It's not so crazy to think that legacy carriers might want to give big discounts to certain individual passengers or small businesses. I had a couple theorized justifications.

For a person who flies a lot of expensive tickets, maybe the legacy would want to compete better against the likes of Southwest, JetBlue, and Spirit which are known for having much lower fully refundable prices.

Additionally, imagine a single person flies $100,000 worth of fully refundable flights each year, and an enterprise company with 1,000 employees that spends $1,000,000 per year on fully refundable fares. Yes the enterprise company is spending 10x as much total, but since its a much lower amount per person, it's more likely that the enterprise would be using those full fare tickets very strategically- only buying them for the highest demanded flights in the rarest circumstances where their employees had zero advance warning of required travel. In contrast, the individual spending $100k/yr on fully refundable would be a person flying nearly every week and flying fully refundable each time, which would probably include less-highly-demanded flights. The airline might be willing to give the individual a big discount based on assuming that with such a high volume of refundable flying, it is unlikely that he is actually flying on very highly demanded flights every single time.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think you may be missing the big picture a bit. Big companies negotiate special deals with airlines that give them certain rights and privileges. As a single traveler, unless you're spending a huge amount of money, these arrangements will be neither visible nor available to you.

Completely flexible tickets are the most expensive out there, and for some people they make sense. For most they don't because over time it's cheaper to buy and lose non refundable tickets than to buy the most expensive out there.