FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences 2017
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:38 pm
scubaccr

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
IC Bangkok

IC Bangkok

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay? Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked = Grande Delux (Paid)
Modded/Received = Club (modded day after booking room, 4weeks out)

How are the rooms?
o Non suite rooms Grand Deluxe / Grand Exec / Club-Room are same sized 44m or so rooms. Differential is the benefit associated with ones room
o Comfy room, well thought out, plenty of multi-country power points, lots of lighting, sofa, table, bathroom with bath+shower-cubicle, usual agrria toiletries
o Large flatscreen TV with very good channel selection

How is the exec. lounge?
o top 37th floor with open plan and some nice views across skyline
o great staff throughout
o good breakfast offering, but no longer hotfood buffet offering since 24months. Have to order from a menu and wait
o nice afternoon tea offering
o evening drinks+canapes has quite limited hot offering, 3-4 smal bits on a plate from lounge kitchen, but fair cold selection. Beers, Wines, Cocktails all available foc

Did you receive a welcome gift?
o pot-pouri/scented elephant (or wooden minature tul-tuk) , no teddybear possible (I asked)
o Screw top 750cl bottle of Australian red wine

How was the minibar?
o 5-6 sodas + water + beer
o red+white 375cl wine
o 20cl spirits (Gin, Absolute Vodka, Chivas Regal, Sam Song Thai Rum, and 2 more)

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
o as usual no quibbles regards RA bennies, early checkin 10am in my case
o upgrade mod instant, within 24hrs, ie the day after booking

-Bad
o Corp rate Grande Deluxe has jumped appreciably for 2017 compared to 2012-2016 rates, only stayed for AMEA 40k 3-stay promo (3rd stay), else would have booked Conrad at 75% the IC rate.
o Corp rate for Grande Exec jumped 1200++ in 2017 so no longer can justify using to get Corner Suite as my +2cat RA upgrade.

-Neutral
o Lounge not as good as 2years ago when hot foods buffett style at breakfast and evening. I find I prefer the Conrad for all three eats now

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
o Paid rates better than 35k points needed for award
o Poor value compared to Conrad since new corp rates all jumped post 31st Dec 2016.
o Now a case of whether foc RA minibar benefit is worth 1000thb extra over Conrad, plus Conrad give suite upgrades from entry level room to regulars 50% of the time.

Would you return?[/QUOTE]
o IC BKK is no longer the very firm number #1 BKK hotel for me, and now a close number #2 behind Conrad at #1 and JW Marriott at #3 .
o IC versus Conrad stays will depend if I need IC BKK for IHG Promo or EQPs to requal as RA due to much higher corporate rate of IC BKK in 2017
o Corp rates also added as new option for 2017 at Hilton/DT Sukhumvit hotels (whch I avoid), as previously only Conrad had corp rate under HH flag