FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:44 pm
BA6948

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Goodness me, I didn't even see BA6948's lips move!

Giving up (F) lounge access in both directions (and Avios earning) just to get a snack/drink onboard does seem puzzling to me, despite the points you have raised.

'normal business lounge' access would only apply if BA6948 was flying business class on LH, and I don't think this was the case here (or why the comparison?)
Don't worry. I didn't forget. I just had a busy day.

So the flight was great. After take off, the service started in Y. I had a salami in rye bread sandwich which was delicious. And I also got a coffee and a glass of "mineral" water. Everyone got something and most of us dozed off. Just before landing, I was a bit thirsty. Went to the back. Got 2 "mineral" water top ups and I didn't have to pay £2.30 each ;-). I had a chat with the flight attendant and told her: Is LH palnning to go BoB like BA for Y shorthaul? She told me absolutely not. They are even enhancing the meal tray on longer EU sectors with new presentation and fresh food. She said, we have Eurowings for BoB. And if the price of food does increase, they will add it to the flight ticket. That was a statement. Landed and thought that was the kind of service I enjoyed with BA: relaxed cabin, chatty and relaxed flight attendant? What do we have now on BA? Re-sellers either ignored by the whole cabin on shorter sectors (PAR or BRU) or a tense and overworked crew on longer routes where food is scarce and passengers are upset.

I managed to collect 1000 miles for my A3 account on this occasion afer having again secured Gold with BA thanks to QR and AY and Gold with AF. So I thought I might try something different. And I am glad I did. See, I value the inflight experience. And I am flexible with my booking choices for both my business and my leisure travel. Lounge access is great but flying every week, it tends to be a bit boring. I'd rather be late at the airport, enjoy a last cigarette and board the plane.

So all in all, a good experience and a good option to top up my A3 account. My partne is gold with A3. I was silver at some point and enjoyed the 2 business class coupons. Things might change next year. I will increase my Skyteam flying especially AF. As for BA, not sure. I will try to keep Silver at least with a coupe of lights to JNB but for the rest it is going to be QR, RJ, AA or AY. BA has gone from being my favorite airline to the one the airlines I dislike the most. Such a shame!