FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:02 am
Tafflyer

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Not if flying mainly Lufthansa. Lufthansa earnings are designed to favor their own FFP and their own metal, and to penalize heavily FFP they consider too generous (A3, TK). Several economy fare bucket earns 0 miles, as well as the infamous P Business class fare bucket.
Also controlling in which fare bucket you are is hard on Lufthansa, if not impossible. When buying a ticket even the most flexible economy fare can end up is some crap bucket like K, L or T.

I would argue that if you are flying mainly Lufthansa, A3 is a bad scheme to use. Except if you embark on a MR with another airline (including A3, oeuf corse).
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Fully agree. I use LH Group airlines very frequently (LX mostly) and earning rates are far better when crediting to M&M. Any other scheme does not attract the same earning rates.

A poster upthread correctly identifies that you need to be flying quite a bit of paid longhaul J (if not F) on LH Group airlines to achieve decent status level.
If flying mainly Lufthansa short haul then there is no good FFP really. Whether I collect 125 miles in M&M or 0 in A3 is almost irrelevant. The business P bucket fare is just plain rude from LH and I avoid it like the plague. The problem is it is sometimes cheaper than a miles earning Y ticket and then I just change the flight to M&M at the gate just before boarding so I have my status benefits. 100,000 miles for SEN status doesn't sound too bad until you realize what it needs to get it. 7-10 TATL J returns in a non-discount bucket. Done correctly you can have BA and A3 Gold together for much less. And, A3 is still a great airline.