FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Scary uber/cab driver? What do you do?
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:59 am
squeakr
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I've had this happen with Uber and Lyft

We found that the 4 AM rides especially to and from airports can be some of the worst. A few things to keep in mind:

- If your rating is below 4.8 on either service , be prepared to be matched with drivers with slightly lower ratings.if you want to try to improve your writing always leave a little tip.
- if you're heading out early for the airport, and you see that your driver has a low rating you can cancel and try to find another one.
- if there's a highway route versus a surface street route always ask the driver to go the surface street route if you have any concerns.
- as others have said depending on the distance you have to go, you can either ride it out or take action. The longer the ride, the more frightening it is obviously.

- when this is happened to me, a couple of times I've asked to be let off if I see an open store or something like that. I will say I've forgotten something,and try to stay as neutral and pleasant as I can. You can usually trust your intuition as to whether it'll be worth it to try to leave the ride or stay till the end.
- I also never put something in the trunk unless it's just a short local ride. Like if I'm getting groceries or something.

Someone this scary is this guy I might've texted a friend I don't care what time it is. Then friend can call the police if needed. The last thing on my mind would be missing my trip – if this guy was exactly as you say there's no telling what he would do or would've done.

I've been using Uber and Lyft since they started here in San Francisco and I've had maybe a dozen bad experiences. But they've been bad enough that I always take the same precautions especially for longer rides.