FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:19 pm
mike_la_jolla

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Vaterland
Here's another condemnation of the Singapore luxury hotel market. The old guard establishments are just too dowdy and certainly not inspirational. When I'm on a 14 hour flight, I want to be able to look forward to the hotel; unfortunately, staying at a Singapore luxury hotel is about as inspirational as staying at a Motel 6 somewhere in Ohio. I guess the Fullerton Bay is the best of the insipid lot.

Out of frustration, I went rogue when choosing a hotel for my most recent business trip to Singapore. I stayed at the Vagabond, one of those adorable little boutique places that I normally abhor. Much to my surprise, it was really delightful. A wildly friendly, charming, enthusiastic staff (though the place struck me as being understaffed) compensated for the small, though beautiful, rooms. Awesome bartender, which is an important element for me. The restaurant was closed (grrrh) but the staff were readily able to recommend many delicious options within walking distance.

Another great thing about the Vagabond was that it forcibly removed me from the sterile and so very dull corporate aspect of Singapore. I was plopped into the throbbing heart of local everyday life and it was fun. Who knew Singapore could be fun!

Would I go back to the Vagabond? Maybe. I did enjoy the place but amenities that many of us take for granted, such as a proper spa/fitness center, were nonexistent. Still, I got an adrenaline boost from staying at a hotel filled with life and energy. The StR has all the excitement of a funeral home.

I'm now thinking about giving the Duxton a try when my next trip comes around, assuming that the Patina is doomed to never opening.
MODERATORS! This post uses the words 'fun' and 'Singapore' in the same sentence. HELP! ... There has to be a rule against this ...