FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No more late night flights LAS><PHX Conspiracy?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:47 pm
amanuensis

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
I was thankful for the late night LAS-PHX service a few years ago when LAS was still a LUS hub.. Our MBJ-CLT flight was delayed due to weather and as a result we misconnected on our CLT-PHX flight home (got to the gate to see the aircraft being pushed back from the gate after a pretty quick immigration/CBP process - if only US hadn't taken so long to get the bags unloaded, or we would have been fine) There was a CLT-LAS flight about 15 mins after our original flight and with the late night LAS-PHX service still operational, we were only about 2.5 hrs late in getting home. The bags were a different story though!
Around 1990, I was at MCO flying on Continental to SLC via IAH. It was the last MCO - IAH flight of the night. The GA announced that the flight would be delayed because of a ground hold in IAH (lightning storm) and also that the flight needed one volunteer to give up their seat and fly the next morning.

I rushed to the podium and said I would take the compensation but only if they would put me on that night's America West flight to LAS and the middle of the night flight from LAS to SLC. In that era, Continental and America West were BFFs, so she agreed and gave me an op up to F.

There was not enough time for my luggage to be pulled and retagged, so it made the original trip. As I suspected, by the time the delayed MCO - IAH flight finally got to Houston, the connecting flight to SLC had already left, so my luggage had to spend the night at IAH. Thanks to the Vegas night hub, I escaped having to do likewise.