FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Newer method to reload TIM account from abroad
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:59 am
PWMTrav

Newer method to reload TIM account from abroad

This probably won't apply to too many people here, but in case it's helpful, I've found another way to reload a TIM account without an Italian credit/debit card and without needing physical presence in Italy. I'm about to recap prior info a bit, so if you know where I'm headed and want to just see the new method, skip down two paragraphs to the one marked below:

If you recall, I've previously posted some details on how to get and maintain a TIM SIM in this forum. The relevant details here are that a TIM SIM expires after 12 months of payment inactivity, and the TIM website tightened up a bit and only allows reloads from domestic credit cards sometimes. In addition, you may just have an older SIM (like me) that for whatever reason, will never take a reload directly on the TIM site.

One workaround (previously mentioned, but recapping to keep the info in one place) is to bring home some small denomination Ricaricards back from Italy with you. You can get them in 5 euro denominations. You scratch them off to see the code, and enter the code on the TIM website (or via SMS if you're in Italy). That still works since there's no credit card to process, but might be inconvenient, like what if you forget, or decide to skip Italy for a year? This is also nice now that roaming in the EU has gone away, since I can now plan to use TIM in other EU countries.

New Info Starts Here!

The new method I found is to use the PayPal Carica app. You must get this from the iTunes Italy Store (not sure about Android), as it's not in the US store. Once you're in it, you can log in with a US-based Paypal account and it will work. I just tested it with mine and my wife's SIM cards, and both worked. A 3rd party (euronetpay) processes the reload, which seems to be why this works but the TIM site doesn't. For me, one account credited instantly, the other took 10 minutes, but the email receipt says it could take 24 hours.

There are some hoops - the app is only in Italian, and only in the Italy store. You may run into some errors initially linking your Paypal account with the app. And at least when I installed, I had to verify my Italian phone number via SMS. Last, Paypal forces currency conversion (on me at least) so I probably paid a little more than I should, but there's no fee for using the service otherwise. I'm not going to detail how to use it step by step, but for anyone sufficiently motivated, you can figure it out and it does work.