View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 17, 7:37 pm
RobOnLI

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Originally Posted by gsalem94122 View Post
OP to add finality.

We left yesterday from Boston. The very nice woman at the United counter saw that I had the paperwork and didn't even look at it. She was more concerned with getting a new 1st flight as we'd have missed the connection otherwise due to a delay.

In Newark (the flight to PVG), they checked the paperwork again at the gate. The gate staff would not take our ANA flight print out for the confirmed flight/seats in 2 days. He insisted that we show a single "united reservation" into and out of China. (Which I had). While not required by China, this seemed to be the only paperwork that got us on the plane. And I was warned of this last month in Boston at the United counter.

In PVG, the 144 hour transit line took about 10 minutes. It was longish since my partner has a nearly full passport. The authorities were looking at each stamp to be certain they were real.
The agent in EWR is flat out wrong. Glad you had what he/she wanted to make it a smoother process but if you didn't then you would have had to escalate on the spot to a red coat and then probably higher up than that. Ridiculous requirement to have it all on a United print out.

As for the full passport...I've never seen that in China and I go there a lot. I have a double-expanded passport that is now full (minus a spot for two stamps) and I've never once had a Chinese immigration official go through my passport and look at stamps. It does take them a second to find empty space to place the stamp but that's it. I have entered through Beijing, Hangzhou, Guangzhou, Shenzhen (airport & land), Shanghai and Chengdu. Tomorrow I'm off to Shanghai and don't expect any issues.

-RM