FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China without a visa
View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:59 am
gsalem94122

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
OP to add finality.

We left yesterday from Boston. The very nice woman at the United counter saw that I had the paperwork and didn't even look at it. She was more concerned with getting a new 1st flight as we'd have missed the connection otherwise due to a delay.

In Newark (the flight to PVG), they checked the paperwork again at the gate. The gate staff would not take our ANA flight print out for the confirmed flight/seats in 2 days. He insisted that we show a single "united reservation" into and out of China. (Which I had). While not required by China, this seemed to be the only paperwork that got us on the plane. And I was warned of this last month in Boston at the United counter.

In PVG, the 144 hour transit line took about 10 minutes. It was longish since my partner has a nearly full passport. The authorities were looking at each stamp to be certain they were real.

Originally Posted by david_oz
Some great advice here
This was my experience a few months ago transiting on AC, also through PVG for 3 days
China 72 hour transit visa. Need to inform Air Canada?

The great advice already mentioned which I would repeat:
1. Have a hard copy of all your documents handy
2. Definitely bring a printout from TIMATIC. This helped us immensely when they incorrectly ran their search showing china as the destination
3. Politely but firmly hold your position

The most annoying thing about the program was on arrival. Processing was extremely slow and also involved our names and hotel reservations being written by hand into a book