FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Hotel in Melbourne?
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:25 am
Baghoarder

Programs: QF CL
Well, this has been a very interesting discussion for me as I will be spending a few days at Halcyon later this month. Personally, I love the concept of Halcyon House. I think it is of its place. Execution is another matter, and I hope not to be disappointed.

In the end I think luxury is a state of mind. But that is an observation for our other thread!

Originally Posted by jja34-1
I enjoyed it because it fit the bill of what I was looking for and met or exceeded expectations. Perhaps I confused the conversation by using it as a reference point. I know that luxury can be subjective and I included my experience at Halcyon for personal comparison purposes, as opposed to holding it up as a luxury experience that is consistent with the definition established by those who frequent this forum.

My experience at Halcyon was a cut above experiences at other hotels in Australia, particularly on the Gold Coast or in QLD, with one or two exceptions. I also know several people who have visited before or after me and not one of them has complained about any aspect of the hotel.

I can see why Halcyon may not be everyone's idea of a "luxury" beach vacation. It met my personal requirements because it allowed me to relax and disconnect in an up to date hotel with a level of service that was helpful but not intrusive.

I would agree with you that it's not good value at current rates given the alternatives. But it did the trick for me at a particular point in time.