FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:40 pm
tphuang

Originally Posted by diver858
B6 may work for someone based in BOS, not so much for someone like me, based in SAN, who would like to earn upgrades on nonstops to Hawaii.

1. WN has NO interline agreements, which can result in MAJOR complications during IROPS.
2. Free luggage can be had on ANY carrier with their credit card
3. Inability to select seats in advance, upgrade to Y+ or F on WN is a dealbreaker for me (6'2" tall).

That is why they AS (and B6) maintains an extensive list of international partners. I also have LT PLT status on AA --> OW to fall back on.

B6 does not offer Mint service SAN-BOS, FLL; and as mentioned above, their SAN network does not match my requirements very well.

When was the last time you tried to take an earlier flight, or were trying to modify plans during IROPS. I have been in those situations enough to believe that status / loyalty MATTERS.
B6 starts mint service BOS-SAN in December.

My point wasn't that you should pick B6, but rather plenty of people have picked an airline without the "best hard product" as their go to airline. For someone with kids and needing to checking in luggages, WN is a life saver. Also WN has enough frequency on so many routes out in the west coast that they don't need to put their passengers on other airlines.

Imo, the most valuable part of AA status are:
1) being able to get free upgrade on premium transcon
2) Use SWU or paid upgrades on international flights
3) Lounge access at Oneworld airlines outside of America
4) The occasional unexpected free upgrades by Oneworld airline (has happened to me 3 times the past year)

These bring tremendous extra value that a program like AS simply can't provide. In your case, it seems like you already get lounge access and other Oneworld benefits with LT PLT status, so AS does sound like the best option for you . But not everyone has LT PLT status and go to Hawaii for vacation.

But if you fly internationally a lot, then getting status with AA or UA is a better way to go. Or if you do a lot of intra-california flying, WN is the most convenient. Or you can do free agency.