FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:41 pm
diver858

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by tphuang
I don't see why the need to only consider options on AS, when you can fly UA/HA to Hawaii
HA only offers SAN nonstop to HNL; all other islands, carriers require connections, while AS offers nonstop to ALL islands.

and WN up and down the west coast.
Who in their RIGHT MIND would CHOOSE WN over AS - open seating hot mess, no first class / Y+, or elite priority boarding. I earned WN A-list status intra-California for several years, moved to AS when they added competing service from SAN, haven't looked back.

Basically, if flying AS doesn't help you build status, why not just be a free agent on those routes that AA doesn't serve?
MVP is a slam dunk at 20k miles, particularly with EQM bonuses for paid F, status on AS earns free upgrades to Y+ and sometimes F.

I would much rather be on a HA A321NEO to Hawaii than AS B739ER. The seat is wider, plane is newer and you get better service.
Agree if HA flew to KOA and OGG, offered nonstop transcons out of SAN. I also end up either paying for discount F, upgrade due to status or GGU, which beats Y on HA A321NEO by a longshot.