FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Exchange award for tier points - max limit
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:07 pm
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Exchange award for tier points - max limit

We have a few discussions on the subject of exchanging award points for tier points, but I can't find anything about the maximum limit.

The Finnair shop, rules are stated like
You can exchange points in batches of 5 000 tier points, but can acquire no more than half the tier points you need to maintain or advance your tier membership. As an example, you need 30 000 tier points to be a Finnair Plus Silver member - therefore, you can acquire a maximum of 15 000 of these tier points by points exchange.

There is a service charge of 10 € for each exchange. Please note that in web award points can be exchanged to tier points once during tier period.
From the text and the example, it seems pretty clear that a platinum member should be able to exchange up to 225k award for 75k tier. It also seems clear that a Gold member should be allowed the same (as per the "..to maintain or advance your tier " sentence).

Yet, logging in to the shop, the maximum I am able to buy is 45k tier. And because of the "once during the period" rule, splitting it into 2 purchases is not allowed either.

45k tier corresponds to half of the old Gold level, so to me this doesn't look like a random number but a deliberate limit. So...

1. Can anyone see options for more than 45k tier?

2. Has anyone exchanged via CS and had the manual fee voided due to option not available online?