FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I Thought Delta was better than this
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:33 am
btonkid12345

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ruckzac
I'm sorry, but I completely disagree. Delta didn't get rid of their award chart to spite consumers – they got rid of it because not all flights within the contiguous 48 states are created equal. As someone who has both American and Delta miles, I much prefer Delta's system because I am frequently able to find reasonable, convenient mileage tickets on Delta to almost any domestic destination. In contrast, American almost never has 'saver' award availability on a convenient routing (let alone at all), and the 'anytime' availability is an absurdly bad deal.
In my opinion, DL DID get rid of the award chart to spite customers. They fly internationally, too, and think of all the stories we've read on here of people paying 350K miles per ticket for 2 one ways from JFK to CDG and they think this is "normal pricing" because they lack an anchor point.

It may be better for a knowledgeable, frequent flyer like you, to have some routes below 12.5K miles one way, but then DL could publish the chart and list domestic OWs STARTING AT a certain price, or list a range of prices. There are a number of ways to provide customers with your award levels transparently (and to respect your customers enough to assume they can process this information) then simply assumer customers are daft, they don't need a chart, and "the price is the price."

Originally Posted by ruckzac
Meanwhile, the price goes up for everyone.
Righttt...this is why, adjusted for inflation, prices for many items at Costco have gone down? And why Costco remains one of the most profitable B&M retailers out there?