FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I Thought Delta was better than this
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:50 am
minnyfly

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by AnnKangas
I thought Delta was better than this, but today may have changed mind.
Sorry, but there's no much you can do. The name mistake wasn't your or DL's fault, but that is a fee that we all don't like. The second problem was a function of the anti-consumer demand-based award pricing with no award chart. Simply put, they can do that too, and there's nothing you can do it about it except move your business elsewhere. That's my suggestion.

Originally Posted by Often1
Of course you're not being "screwed" by the rules. They are contract terms which you choose to accept. Don't like them, purchase a ticket which doesn't have them.
That's a tired cop-out for the airline in the OP's case. Take this for example. Let's say someone "signed-up" to the SkyMiles program a few years ago. The customer diligently flew DL and accumulated miles through the varied methods of earning miles (could very well be our OP). At their whim, DL can significantly change their program - without any requirement to be "accepted" by the customer - and institute devaluing changes such as demand-based award pricing without an award chart. Now the price will vary, and one can never be completely sure what the lowest price will be. That sets the perfect trap for our OP to fall into--buying a ticket only to see the price fall later, with award change fees guaranteeing that DL won't lose the extra miles without financial gain. Technically, DL played by their rules and no one was "screwed" in an illegal manner. However, they were indeed "screwed" by DL's new policy.

Really the only way to prevent that from happening again is to change carriers and hope they don't institute the same system that's stacked in their favor.

Originally Posted by Often1
DL offers full F and Y fares which are fully refundable. If you find a better deal somewhere, just cancel for a full refund and purchase the new ticket. No fees, penalties or anything.
That's another false choice excuse for the airline. The airline has the market power to charge well above the vast majority's maximum acceptable price for a refundable ticket, and it's for the primary benefit of "locking in" the revenue, with the side benefit of enhancing the effectiveness of outrageous change fees. So there really is no choice at all for the vast majority. There's no refundable ticket option. It's either buy a nonrefundable ticket and take your chances, or it's not go at all.

I'd probably do it too if I could in my line of business, but it is a pretty disgusting way to treat consumers, if I say so myself.