FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:45 pm
flatdawgs

Programs: AS MVPG -> MVP -> now nothing, DL SM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kop84
Very true other than for those who need to frequent Alaska (non ANC) and some of the second/third tier PNW markets DL is probably a better option. Especially for those who have to go further East than DEN, AS offers limited options, x1-2 daily with no other connection options, isn't very attractive to many people traveling for business.
This is me, although I'll wait to see how codesharing may change price-wise from the uncompetitive fares that AS currently sells when having to travel past an AS destination domestically. As I purchase all of my own tickets, I have to consider that as one of the factors in the equation. Flying to a secondary market in the SE predominantly, I can hope that at the least AS will still codeshare with AA to CLT as there is currently no AS option there.

I fully understand that in any business decision there will be winners and losers amongst existing customers. This time the loser will likely be me and people with travel patterns like mine, which I accept even while now having to consider DL (primarily) and AA (to some extent) for much of my travel. I hope that AS is making the correct business decision to grow and strengthen whilst still keeping the things that in many of our minds made them our carrier of choice. When I started working in my profession, my first job took me from SEA all over the PNW and Alaska, and AS was obviously the place to put my loyalty. Although my travel patterns have changed over the years, my personal experience with AS has made them my carrier of choice, and by extension their partners as necessary. AS will always win a tie with me, or even something close, but with their loyalty program seemingly becoming not nearly as useful to me I'll be looking at other options as well. I will always wish AS well, and, should things change either with them or with my own travel patterns, I'll happily come back.