FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - some luxury hotels in Scotland
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:53 am
uggboy

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Sands Grill at the Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, St. Andrews, Scotland, UK

Sands Grill at the Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, St. Andrews, Scotland, UK [REVIEW: PHOTOS]

September 2016, Our Dinner Experiences

On our second evening of our three day stay at the Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort and Spa (please see our review, above) my fiancé and I had dinner at the Sands Grill.

The restaurant was located on the ground floor and had a clubby upscale atmosphere with dark furniture and green upholstery.

The staff was warm and efficient.

Fellow diners were international and of all age groups.

The Market Menu, which is available in lots of Scottish upscale restaurants, was good value at 35 GBP per person (ca. 40 Euro / ca. 45.30 USD) and we liked the choice of dishes, so we decided to go for this and not for a la carte.

The cuisine can be described as light and classic with some experimental touches.

Our drinks were a large bottle of still Highland Spring water, one Tia Maria and two hot chocolates.

Our starters were roasted pigeon breast, chocolate, parsnip, passion fruit. It caused some debate between us. We liked the dish and the slightly unusual combination. He thought the passion fruit was too few. I thought the amount was just right. We are a bit different in that regards.

His main course was gnocchi with sundried tomatoes and mozzarella. Mine was sea bass fillet with shrimp and mussel sauce and potatoes.

Normally gnocchi dishes are too large and heavy. This one was just right.
The shrimps and mussels were very generous and the dish was tasty.

Our desserts included raspberry panna cotta with vanilla ice cream and plum crumble with custard and vanilla cream.

The bill was 89.90 GBP, ca. 102.50 Euro, ca. 116.30 USD.

Overall we had a very pleasant evening and would have a meal at the Sands Grill again, when staying at the Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa in St. Andrews.

Here are some of our images we took during our dinner at the Sands Grill, Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa in September 2016:

Would we recommend this restaurant to a friend? YES! ^
Would we want to enjoy lunch/dinner again at this restaurant in our future? YES! ^

Thank you and safe travels.