FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet "Hands Free" option
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:16 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by alexanderrr
Interesting policy, but I doubt it will last. It allows a family of three to check in 3 cabin size bags. As there is no weight limit for Easyjet cabin size bags, each of these bags can easily weight 10-12 kilos. That is 30 to 36 kg for 10 euros. -
way less than a normal checked bags would cost. However, I doubt that a gate agent will have a way to know if they have checked these bags or not, meaning they can also bring another cabin size bags with them.
It's flagged on the boarding pass scanner when people board and T&C's are quite clear that if you turn up with another carry-on you will be charged as if you had a checked luggage. Not the best of ideas to try to game this one...

Basically the incentive for easyjet is to:

a) monetize on the fact that most flights are full and they end up checking hand luggage (they accept 70-75 bags per flight then the rest goes in the hold)
b) avoid delays and make the gate area more efficient in removing the need to check a large amount of hand luggage.

I suspect that as this grows it will apply only to extremely busy flights and the price point may change also.