FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Location suggestions for a few days in the US, please?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:55 am
TownCar

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Thanks for the comments/suggestions!

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Of the places you mentioned, I'd look at Grand Teton National Park or go even further north to Glacier N.P. If you have easy access into Canada, consider Banff NP.
Yes, I've spent a couple of hours today just researching the area online and combining the Grand Teton with Yellowstone looks tempting. How busy is it likely to be around the second week of August? I mean, I know the touristy must-see sites like Old Faithful will always be packed, but does the Grand Teton park have the same hotspots of crowds and queues? Is it busy enough that accommodation is likely to be fully booked in most places, or do I still have a chance of being able to choose where to stay?

Although then I looked at Banff... wow. And I could return direct to Heathrow from Calgary, which would make life easier. However, staying within the US may be *much* cheaper if I can get to Jackson Hole using my Avios on AA.

Originally Posted by allset2travel
I recently completed a 15-day, 2700 mile road trip to the Pacific Northwest (norther CA., OR, WA), purely for the enjoyment of photography. I am not sure if what I experienced was epic or spectacular to you, I’d be happy to share that experience with you and this forum, and let you decide.

I have these two links to my BLOG (no worry, no ad and nothing to sell), where I share my own photo journeys with other photographers like you.

https://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/Trav...e-n-Waterfalls

https://stefanofoto.smugmug.com/Trav...g-Oregon-Coast

With 4 to 5 days, I would highly recommend the Oregon Coast, from north to south. More days will be better as you want more time to shoot during sunrise and sunset. The temperature will be quite nice in August.

Hope this help. If you have other questions, shoot away!
Great photography and a nice blog, thanks! The Palouse trip actually appeals to me more than the Oregon coast, for some reason - what time of year did you go, and what kind of focal length was being used for the Palouse sunset images?

One other thing that concerns me is the fact I want to bring my drone for aerial photography and video. And of course, you're not allowed to fly it in national parks in the US or Canada. When I was in Arizona, this wasn't too much of an issue - you can just drive a bit further until you're in an area that is not restricted, and still photography nearly-as-astonishing scenery. But from what I've seen, in parks like Yellowstone, this might not be the case as they're so much bigger and everything you want to see is embedded well within the park - would that be a correct assumption?