FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A way to make Dulles appeal to DC fliers...
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:01 am
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I was always happy with the bus from the Rosslyn Metro Station when visiting DC and using Dulles.
It's $7.50 now, plus whatever Metro fare you'll pay to your final destination. I came in from Dulles a few days ago and took the Washington Flyer bus to the silver line ($5, about 15 mins), connecting to Metro to Pentagon City ($3.85 off peak), and it was a much nicer ride in than taking the 5A bus. Only came in from that direction because of a cheaper award ticket than DCA (flew home from there).

Bus service, particularly during peak commute hours, seems to be a big negative to me. The last thing I want is to be stuck in traffic with everyone else wondering if I'll make my flight. I always allowed an extra hour or two on the 5A bus to allow for accidents or congestion. I'd have to do the same with any airline-provided shuttle bus service.

Originally Posted by TA
Btw, the train (if it ever finishes) will take about 15 stops from downtown to get to Dulles. Hardly the high speed link one hopes for in reasonably advanced cities.
That's actually less stops than it takes me to get to SFO on BART. I don't mind the journey and plan around it with reading material or video. If you want to take public transportation, it's just a concession you make in the U.S. The subway in Manhattan out to JFK isn't any different.