FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A way to make Dulles appeal to DC fliers...
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:32 am
nevansm

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
A way to make Dulles appeal to DC fliers...

I've you've ever flown into Munich, undoubtedly you've seen the Lufthansa branded busses around the shuttle area upon exiting the terminal, and the same goes for Korean Air at ICN. These airlines have adopted a great strategy to get customers to/from the airport when public transit has somewhat failed, isn't convenient, or quick. A bus service they brand, allow for seamless travel, and reward customers.

Every person I know in DC who travels regularly avoids Dulles like the plague. This is for many reasons, the biggest being that the cost to get there in an Uber/lyft/taxi is high, the time is too long, there's still lots of additional time needed once you actually get there (checking bags, time to get to gate/club), etc.

How great would it be if United had two pickup points in the DC, Union Station and somewhere in foggy bottom perhaps, allowing metro access from both Maryland and Virginia. Allowed one to check bags, get boarding passes, maybe even a lounge for premium passengers?

Then you board the bus, with free wifi, PQM and RDM credit (500 miles of course), and a straight shot to IAD. Dropped off at a dedicated area, with quick access to security including clear and Pre, and we're quickly off to the gate. Sell it all as a connection just like they do with Amtrak today, only much smoother. This is what I envision.

One can check bags at Tokyo station for any airline, why can't United invest in this? Truly this would change my perception of the Dulles experience (save for the long amount of time it takes to get TO the gate, which I hope United invests in too).

For arriving passengers, the same goes. Departures on the :15 hour or :30 hour. A dedicated lounge in the lower part of IAD, and through connections.

It's something that a lot of people would value and I feel that United at IAD is unique more than any other airline in the country at any other airport because the concentration and frustration of DC O&D passengers is so unique.

This idea was hatched up by myself and @uva185 a few weeks ago over happy hour after complaining about IAD for an hour.