FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - suggestions on what to do when traffic accident causes a missed flight?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:55 am
btonkid12345

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by slidergirl
Sorry, but badly wrong here. Son could not have flown out that night - no other flights to his destination. He did call as soon as he had cell service when he was stuck. He also called his dad to let him know what was happening. No reason to get to the airport when they would have gotten there after the last flight to anywhere that night. Airports do shut down, you know... After getting numerous replies that they were out of luck (except for the dropped call), they felt they had no recourse. How do you know they were not nice and polite when speaking to the phone agents. So, please don't lecture me about this. What started as a nice request for what they could do has degraded into another nasty thread. To those that actually offered good info, thank you.
No, you are badly wrong. What happens when an international flight cancels to the Salt Lake area? Does your property ever have a group or a few people have to cancel due to last minute interruptions? It also happens with airlines.

Many others may not have shown up. Salt Lake City is a MAJOR hub for Delta. I have seen flights sold out, go to having availability of Y9 (9 seats) in a matter of less than 30 minutes. Who knows what would have been available at the airport, or what a nice agent would have been willing to put together.

Also - I did not say your clients were not nice. You asked for generic advice. I gave generic advice to anyone reading - be nice to the agents if you are late, because they don't technically owe you anything, but generally return kindness to those who are also kind to them.

Originally Posted by bergamini
I wouldn't necessarily go to the airport. There was an accident on the only bridge out of Key West and we were stuck for hours and missed our DL flight out of MIA. Sent the Twitter rep our itineraries and a link to the accident. This was the day after the Orange Bowl in MIA and flights were sold out for a few days. The Twitter rep said closest airport out of which she could get us was MCO the next morning. We were able to change rental to a 1-way to MCO and totally bypassed MIA. So yes, sometimes going to airport is right choice but in our instance it wasn't. We were not charged an additional fare and, in fact, I got upgraded on MCO>LGA. Having proof really helped, I think.
Fair advice for your situation - but I don't think it jives with the OPs case.

Differences:
*You are leaving from EYW - an outstation for any airline. OP's client leaving from SLC, a major hub for DL and destination for OALs.
*You are DM. OP's client lacks status
*Major in-town event happening that locked up availability for you

For someone who doesn't have status, and is heading to a major hub, they should always go to the airport if they are late.

Having said that - OP - maybe your client (or other clients) could look at tweeting DL in the future. I'm not sure the response time for general SkyMiles members, but as a DM, I get a response usually in under 15 minutes.