FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Australia to Europe and back - 8 segments, 6 carriers
Old May 22, 2004, 10:49 pm
StevePER

Programs: QR Platinum
Qantas QF 68 HKG-PER

April 29, 2004
Qantas QF 68 HKG-PER
Scheduled: 23:35 - 07:15
Actual: 01:05 - 08:35
767-300 VH-OGG seats 3J/K

Our day in Hong Kong finished with an afternoon tour around the island. There were, however, no drop-offs on the island so we jumped off at a hotel in Kowloon and took the Star Ferry to Hong Kong Island for HK$2.20 each. From there it's a short walk to the train station, and we jumped on the train back to the airport.

By the time we arrived at the airport it was about 20:30 and we were very hungry and thirsty after a very light lunch and no dinner. We breezed through customs, and started looking for the lounge. We found it eventually upstairs from our gate and showed our business class boarding passes to get in. We grabbed a little couch for ourselves, and settled in.

The lounge was a combined Qantas/British Airways lounge, and was well equipped for our three hour stay. Our first priority was food and drink. There were little sandwiches, biscuits, and Pringles crisps, and we started with drinking lots of water despite the well-stocked bar. Once we were reasonably fed, it was shower time. MrsStevePER2B went first. While she was in there the lounge started to fill up and the showers did also. Newcomers were writing their names down to be in the queue for the shower, so I did as well. Despite being about fifth in the "queue", I was next in the shower because I was sitting in view of the shower attendant. This didn't seem very fair, but I was happy. Additionally, it seemed that people on the Perth flight were given precedence over those on the Sydney flight, even though I'm sure the Sydney flight left earlier. Despite making it a quick one due to the queue, the shower was very refreshing, as was a fresh change of clothes.

We sat around in the lounge for a bit longer, staying off the alcohol to try to stay awake. I spent some time on the internet (there are three or four PCs provided, with two or three spaces for laptops). Then at 23:10 came the words that we didn't want to hear. "Ladies and gentlemen, Qantas regret to report that QF68 to Perth will be delayed due to mechanical problems. The new estimated time of departure for this flight is midnight."

I made myself busy by compiling a list of available drinks to post to this thread. At around 23:50 a lounge attendant came around talking to everyone telling us they were looking for a spare part, and once found a new ETD would be given. Shortly afterwards the captain came around and told us more about the problem and apologising for the delay. It wasn't long before the spare part was found, and a new ETD of 01:00 was announced.

We boarded at the expected time and settled into our very comfortable and spacious business class seats (3J/K). I could have fallen asleep quite easily at this point, but I forced myself to stay awake a little longer to enjoy my first ever business class flight. MrsStevePER2B did the same, though she had been on business class before in an op-up on a domestic OOL-PER flight.

Business class in this 763 was five rows of a 1-2-2 configuration which seems to work quite well since there are only five seats that don't have an isle. It still had the Qantas "Dreamtime" seats (the new Skybeds are only being fitted to the 747s and A330s) which were very comfortable and offered lots of different adjustments from the controls on the armrest. So many that I actually found it a little difficult to control. There was also a TV screen in the armrest that I didn't use.

Shortly after take-off, a "light" supper was served. I remembered to grab the menu for this one.

Light Supper
Chinese Style Prawn and Vegetable Soup
Salad of Char Grilled Beef with Slow Roasted Tomatoes and Mustard Dressing. Australian Beef
Green Leaf Salad with Olives, Capsicum and Feta
'Valrhona' Chocolates

Champagne
Charles Heidsieck Mis En Cave 1998

Wine
Australian Vintages
Australian wines are renowned across the globe for their full spectrum of aromas and flavours. We have selected premium Australian wines in a range of styles for your enjoyment.
White wines include the choice of a dry, lighter bodied, crisp wine or a fuller bodied rich style. Our red wine is medium bodied, fruit driven and robust.

Aperitifs
Campari
Dry Sherry

Spirits
Chivas Regal Scotch Whisky
Stolichnaya Vodka
Jim Beam Black Label Bourbon
Bacardi White Rum
Gordon's Gin

Beers
Victoria Bitter
Foster's Lager
Tooheys New
Hahn Premium Light (Low Alcohol)

Non Alcoholic
Orange Juice
Tomato Juice
Apple Juice
Mineral Water
Soda Water
Tonic Water
Ginger Ale
Lemonade
Cola
Diet Cola

Coffee - Piazza d'Oro
Bodum
Decaffeinated

Tea - Dilmah
English Breakfast
Jasmine Green
Chamomile
Peppermint

Hot Chocolate

Liqueurs
Cointreau
Drambuie
Tia Maria
Bailey's Irish Cream

Port

Cognac
Martell VSOP

MrsStevePER2B and I both skipped the soup and went straight to the beef, which was brilliant. The green leaf salad had the same ingredients as that served in economy, but was crisper and tastier. I had the Penfolds Bin 407 Cabernet Sauvignon to accompany my meal, which I enjoyed immensely. I also had a port to finish. I'd always intended to sample the wine on this flight, but I would have been disappointed if I was drinking beer. Surely they can do a little better than Foster's and VB. Either the chocolates were never offered, or I fell asleep before they came around.

The business class amentities kit was very nice after the minimal offering in CX economy. The men's kit is pictured here, and contains shaving cream, a razor, real toothbrush and toothpaste, lip balm, refreshment towel, moisturiser, socks, eye shade, ear plugs, and mints.

I had the best night's sleep I've ever had on a plane. The lights were turned on at 06:15 for breakfast. Apparently a room-service style breakfast is normally offered on this flight (according to the menu To assist in maximising your rest, a pre-ordered Breakfast is available. Simply complete the Breakfast order card for collection by your Flight Attendant.) However, it wasn't offered on this flight due to the late departure. I'm not quite sure I understand why. In any case, we started with a freshly squeezed fruit juice (not sure of the fruits involved). Then breakfast started with a croissant or toast with fruit salad and yoghurt. I chose the croissant. Following was scrambled eggs on toast or sausages, mushrooms, potato cake, and baked beans. It was nothing incredible, but definitely better quality than the usual economy breakfast.

We landed at Perth International Airport at 08:35, an hour and twenty minutes after our scheduled arrival. MrsStevePER2B visited the duty free shop and took what seemed to be forever to chose a bottle of Irish whiskey. We went through immigration and collected our cases which were already on the carousel when we got there. We went through the red channel to declare the wooden chess set that I had bought in Hong Kong, there were no problems with it. Then we went through the door out of the controlled area where we were met by our mums. We were happy to be home.

So that's the end of my first trip report. I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Steve

Last edited by StevePER; Oct 13, 2004 at 7:00 am Reason: Fixing name of wine - Bin 407, not 409, added rego