FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Australia to Europe and back - 8 segments, 6 carriers
Old May 22, 2004, 10:45 pm
StevePER

Programs: QR Platinum
Easyjet U2 4797 ORY-LIN

April 20, 2004
Easyjet U2 4797 ORY-LIN
Scheduled: 11:10 - 12:35
Actual: 11:10 - 12:25
737-700 G-EZJG seats 7E/F

Our final short flight would take us from Paris Orly to Milan Linate on Easyjet. We took three trains to get to Orly - first the Metro to Gare du Nord, then RER line B to Antony, and finally the Orly Light Rail to ORY for EUR 8.60 each. Despite this, the whole system seemed quite efficient and well thought out, even for those carrying suitcases. It was quite a contrast to our experiences in Milan later in the day.

We arrived at ORY around an hour and a half before our flight, and easily found the short queue to check-in. MrsStevePER2B has some detachable wheels that she sometimes puts on her backpack. I don't really approve of the idea, but I guess there's not much wrong with it. In any case, she had the wheels on her backpack when we were checking in. The agent spotted the wheels, and asked us if we were taking them on the plane. We explained that the wheels were detachable, and they would be folded up and put inside the bag for the flight. But apparently that wasn't what the agent meant, because she thought that they would not be allowed on the plane. I pointed out that wheels were not on the standard list of prohibited items that was displayed on the counter, but she remained convinced. In the end she agreed that we could try our luck at getting through security. Incidentally, our checked luggage was slightly over the allowance of 20kg each, but this wasn't a problem.

Naturally we passed through security without incident. MrsStevePER2B noted that the wheels were clearly visible on the x-ray machine. Actually, the security agent decided to do a reasonably thorough search of my backpack, to the point of opening my camera case and examining the spare compact flash cards I had wrapped in an envelope. Interesting.

There isn't much to do at ORY after passing through security, so we hung around the monitors until our gate was announced. We sat down for a little, but then stood up again to play the Easyjet seating game as a queue was starting to form at the gate, even before our aircraft had arrived. When it did arrive, it didn't take long before we started boarding; we sat in 7E/F. I had a good look out the window at the other aircraft that were around - Air France and Corsair 747s, and relatively small aircraft from Easyjet, Air Europa, and Air Luxor.

The flight itself was unremarkable, and there isn't much that I remember about it. I noted that the legroom was fine. During the flight we passed over the alps and had excellent views of snow-covered mountains extending as far as the eye could see.

We landed slightly early at LIN, and our bags didn't take long to come out. On the way out of the arrivals area there were two channels for EU and non-EU passport holders, but both were just very short passageways to the same exit.

One of the reasons for choosing Easyjet was that they flew to LIN, which is far closer to the city centre than MXP or indeed BGY. I've now learnt that physical proximity to the city centre does not necessarily translate to convenience.

The bus stop for the bus into the city is just outside the terminal. It has a small shelter which is inadequate for the number of people who catch the bus, and would be particularly uncomfortable if it was hot, cold, or raining. There were crowds of people around the overflowing shelter, and a bearded man who made occasional appearances to sell tickets for the bus at a cost of EUR 2.50.

The bus arrived about 10 minutes after we did, and there was a disorganised rush to get cases into the luggage areas. We got ours in eventually, only to have to pull them off again when we discovered that the bus had filled and we couldn't get on (the bus apparently holds 46). It was all very uncivilised with lots of pushing. The buses are half an hour apart, but we weren't about to surrender our EUR 5 to the bearded man and get a taxi. It's all about principle, and now we understood the "system" (or lack thereof). Some people tried asking bearded man for a refund, but there was none forthcoming.

We positioned ourselves at the very front of the shelter; others had different tactics of standing on the road, or standing on the opposite side to be first to get their luggage on the far side of the bus. When the bus did arrive, it stopped about 10 metres away from where we were, so we moved as fast as we could and got our luggage on quickly. Then we joined another couple of Aussies in trying to force our way on to the bus while waving our tickets at the bearded man so that he could put a hole in them. We made in on board this time.

So, here are the things I have learnt about getting from LIN to the Milan city centre. Firstly, don't get the bus. If you have to get the bus, don't let good manners or consideration for others stop you from getting on to the bus. Rest assured that other people will do the same. Finally, dressing up as a nun apparently guarantees that you will get on the bus without any uncivilised behaviour. Sure it's a drastic measure, but possibly warranted if you can get away with it.