FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Week-end in Japan ! - AMS-DOH-HND/NRT-DOH-AMS (QR J 773/772/787) + HND-CTS (JL F 772)
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:50 pm
palmanfr

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Chapter 6 : That was too short...!

From Tokyo bay, it took about an hour to reach Narita airport, and despite the fact QR flights depart from terminal 2, I wanted to have a look at some shops in terminal 1.Maybe that was just another excuse to visit an unknown airport ☺

A shuttle between terminals runs every 10-15 min and I reached the check in area for QR around 20.20. The QR flight departing NRT is actually one of the last flights leaving the airport so the terminal area was almost empty, with just a few people standing in line to check their luggage in.

However, being alone in the business class check-in line, it took me 15 minutes to have the boarding passes issued and my small checked-in luggage (a foldable duffel bag) tagged to Amsterdam. Security was reasonably quick, but it took forever to clear emigration procedures as only 1 counter was open and a few long haul flights were departing in that evening (note that QR business class passengers or One World Emerald passengers are NOT allowed to use the premium security from JAL in NRT – unfortunately…)

I immediately headed to the Japan Airlines First class lounge and by the time I reached it, was 21.00 sharp.

I was dreaming of taking a shower a that moment and asked the lounge attendant if I could book one, and she informed me that the showers just closed and that would not be an option. A real pity. I insisted a bit but no way to have one reopened. She attempted to call other lounges (AA ?) but could not reach anybody at that time. Anyway, long story short, I ended getting a disabled bath room to be used as a changing room…
Also, the attendant did not notice I was OW Emerald and I had to insist a bit to get access to the First class lounge.
The lounge at that late time of the day was almost empty and the sushi bar closed. Also, the buffet started to be removed despite the fact the last flight was departing an hour later.

If I would have arrived 20 minutes earlier (or if the emigration and check-in procedures would not have taken 40 minutes) I think I would have enjoyed better this lounge as the space and design looked very nice, with tarmac views all across the lounge. It’s just that I did not have a lot of time to judge the amenities offered…

Considering this is an international first class lounge, I would rate it as following :
Japan Airlines Diamond First class lounge, Tokyo Narita terminal 1.
Buffet area / F&B selection : C+, it was late and lots of options were already removed.
Seating available : A
« Clean and comfy » : A
Extra amenities : B
Overall ranking : B

The boarding of the QR flight to Doha was announced at 21.20 and it took a good 10-15 min walk to reach the gate 81.

A separate lane for business class and status passengers was in place and access was strictly enforced. 2 jet bridges were connected to the aircraft.