Old Jul 3, 17, 11:03 am
palmanfr

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, TK Silver, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, HH Gold, A-Club Silver, Hertz PC
Chapter 2 : Heading north...

30 minutes before scheduled departure, I decided to leave the lounge and proceed to the gate 17, about 5 minutes away. Looks like I will be flying to Sapporo on 777-200 Oneworld livery aircraft…

Priority boarding at 10 :12 after the entire gate staff greeted passengers waiting. 2 jet bridges were positioned to facilitate the boarding process. Front bridge was directly connected to door 1L and to be used by F and J passengers.

Japan Airlines – JL511 – April 8th 2017
Tokyo Haneda Intl HND – 10.30
Sapporo New Chitose CTS – 12.05
Boeing 777-200 – JA771J – First class seat 2A, seat 2C remained empty during the flight.

As soon as I entered the cabin (I was the first one to board via that door), the purser greeted me by name, wished me welcome on board and showed me my seat. She took my jacket and presented me today’s menu. Shortly afterwards, another female FA came to me to offer a Tempur pillow and started to talk for a couple minutes with me about my visit in Japan.

Sleepers were available in the seat pocket, such as a power bank as the seat is quite old and does not have any power plugs at all. Seat controls were mechanic. I did find the seats quite confortable and certainly much better than what European airlines use for short and medium-haul flights.

The purser came to me to ask if I wanted to have lunch and what would be my drink preference. I ordered a glass of their sky time kiwi cocktail and a glass of champagne.
Boarding was completed ontime (15 minutes to board and have 250+ passengers seated – Call that Japanese efficiency !) and we pushed back. Time to taxi towards the runway and we took off at 10.50.

Oshiboris were distributed and the meal service began, with trays being brought at the table from the galley directly by the FA, who explained me each of the dishes. The meal was quite tasty and I finished it with a coffee and a some perrier sparkling water.

The purser and the FA regularly came to me to know if everything was fine and to ask where I was from and if I enjoyed my time in Japan. Considering the F cabin was only half full that day, and that 3 FA were assigned to this cabin, I guess this facilitated the discussion. I was called by my last name at every interaction with the crew.

Note that Wifi was available on board, free of charge (there is a promotion until the end of August to promote this new service) and provided by GoGo. The speed was enough to upload a few pictures and get emails. It appeared that the power bank located on my seat did not work (USB port wad broken), so I used the one located on the seat 2C, but it was almost empty. Would have been nice to have « real » USB ports located on the seat.
I started to see snowy Hokkaido through the window and we landed ontime, with only a few minutes of taxi time to the gate.

The crew thanked all of us individually for flying JL and wished us a pleasant day.

The luggage took about 10 minutes to arrive on the belt, and as usual in Japan, the First class luggage arrived first, followed by the J class, followed by the other luggage.

To conclude, I would rate this flight as following :
Cabin Crew : A
Seat : B (considering this is a 1 hour 20 minute flight, a different rating would have applied for a transcontinental service)
On time performance : A
Meal and beverages : A- (Food was good, and nicely presented).
Overall experience : A-