FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Week-end in Japan ! - AMS-DOH-HND/NRT-DOH-AMS (QR J 773/772/787) + HND-CTS (JL F 772)
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:57 am
palmanfr

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
My flight to Sapporo CTS was operated by JL from the other domestic terminal, A free shuttle bus between terminal is available, but I decided to have a morning walk to « visit » the terminals. It took about 10-15 minutes to get there.

If you fly on Japan Airlines and carry One World Emerald status (or travel in First class), you can use the dedicated First class check in lounge with dedicated security.

I was travelling in J class that day (Which would be the equivalent of a premium economy seat in that case), but my BA Gold status allowed me to get in.

A couple of very welcoming check in agents were working that day. My boarding pass was swiftly issued and I decided to check my carry on luggage in (I know it is a big bigger than the allowed size for carry on and I also know that Japan is the only country in the world where priority tagged luggage really arrives first on the belt !). I also asked the agent if some first class upgrades were available, and decided to do so for 7000 JPY (around 55 Euros) just to test, and also for the 20 addiitonal TP. She asked me if I was fine with a window seat and issued my new BP. I was greeted by the two female agents (once again) and headed to the security check five meters behind me. The checkpoint was totally empty of passengers and the 4 security staff greeted me. Security was cleared within seconds, and I then went to the First class lounge upstairs. There is direct access to it after the security check point.

I have to say that JL did an excellent job with this dedicated First class check in facility. Airlines in Europe and the US should learn from this.

Here below are a few pictures from the F lounge :

It was my second time in this (domestic) first class lounge. While I really like the look and design of all renovated JL lounges, I find the food offering a bit weak, with only crackers, a couple soups, some cheese or chocolate bread and 2 rice balls. I had a quick breakfast and took opportunity to check some emails using the complimentary wifi. Plenty of seating was available with some nice tarmac views. I took this opportunity to some plane spotting, despite the grey weather…

Considering this is a first class lounge in the main hub, I would rate it as following :
Japan Airlines Diamond First class lounge, Tokyo Haneda Domestic terminal.
Buffet area / F&B selection : C
Seating available : A
« Clean and comfy » : A
Extra amenities : B
Overall ranking : B
Again, JL did an excellent job in offering a first class experience from the airport to the gate. I personally love the design theme used of wood and brown leather. The lounge F&B offerings are a bit weak IMO, especially compared to the excellent F lounge on the international terminal i personally visited last november.