FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I visit Italian relatives
View Single Post
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:40 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by DaileyB
My grandfather had a relatively uncommon name, so they won't be hard to find.
Don't bet on that. Some names that seem uncommon in the USA when you get to a smallish town you find dozens of people with that last name

Originally Posted by DaileyB
Also, know virtually nothing about Abruzzi. Did just read the wiki entry on it, and apparently there is a good bit there between medieval hill towns, parks and good food. In any event, suggestions as to what to see and visit would be greatly appreciated.
Abruzzo is real authentic, non-touristy Italy. The town you are going to is quite large, and not that scenic, but Abruzzo is sometimes called the "greenest region in Europe" because it has 3 national parks, and several dozen protected nature preserves. It has glaciers, lakes, and if you go all the way to the coast there are beaches.

There's great food culture, with a focus on sheep and lamb, and near the Adriatic, lots of seafood. There's great art in L'Aquila.

There's something called, "I Borghi piu belli D'Italia," or the most beautiful towns in Italy. It's a distinction given to places that have maintained their original, authentic culture and taste, and helps to preserve them. Some people make a visit of doing a circuit, and seeing as many as they can. Abruzzo has 21 of them, second only to Umbria, which has 25. You might consider renting a car and touring these areas, stopping and eating and drinking the local food and wine. During the nice parts of the year these borghi have many festivals and parties, with local food, music, entertainment. You might look them up and visit them, and soak up the local culture. The city you are going to find your relatives is not that special, but a lot of Abruzzo really is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Borg...lli_d%27Italia