FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - (Rant) My UA miles expired, I have no use for United
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:37 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Take an iota of responsibility, OP. And if you need an extra 6 months (beyond UA's 18) to cover inactivity at Alaska, don't look for a red carpet from them either. They are a good airline, though. Good luck and watch your expiration dates!

Originally Posted by Ramonmv
6 months more than UA gives you, and a far better airline. Also, their Visa card is better. And, as pointed out by someone else, it says, "MAY."
I'm in no danger of losing my Alaska miles, and I'm sure they'd let if know if I was.
United's rules read basically the same, where Alaska's "may" is equivalent to United's "subject to". Neither is absolute. You can't go to Alaska after you've let you miles expire there and tell 'em you didn't think they really would cancel miles. I guess you could, but they'll just ask for a reinstatement fee, especially if you haven't generated any revenue for them in a while.

United's:

"Any Member who fails at any time to engage in Account Activity (as defined in Rule 11 above) for a period of eighteen (18) consecutive months is subject to termination of such Member’s membership and/or forfeiture of all accrued mileage. United may, but shall have no obligation to, send a Member a notification of miles nearing expiration."
Attached Images  

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2017 at 10:10 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote