FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lima Airport (LIM) to Miraflores: New Shuttle Service
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:56 am
Section 107

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Efrem
The other way to look at is is that you paid the normal fare but Peruvians get a discount.

Besides, this isn't unique to Peru. Same thing in lots of places in Russia. (The signs with lower admission fees for Russians are generally just in Russian, so most non-Russians can't read them.)

Also, the U.S. isn't off the hook here. Only U.S. citizens (over whatever age) can get a lifetime National Park pass. You often have to be a resident of a specific state or city to benefit from lower fares/fees/whatever. It's a worldwide phenomenon, based in part on the fact that non-residents/non-citizens don't vote there but locals do. Some you win, some you lose.
Everyone's financial situation is different, but for me I have decided that for the countries in Latin America the few dollars extra they charge probably makes more difference in their lives than in mine (and I am not flush by any means). Depending on the exchange rate and what type of vendor I am dealing with (big company vs mom-pop/family business) I almost do not haggle anymore or not in earnest.....and then I leave a nice tip. Heck, I am on vacation and I planned to spend it anyway....