FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Terrible experience with Hertz renting a car with a child seat
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:42 am
Lobster

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Most car rental places I've used seem to refuse to install the rented car seat in the car. They want the renter -- not the rental company -- to carry the risk of improper installation of the car seat.

A way to handle installing a car seat in a car while traveling alone with a very young child is to secure the child in the stroller while installing the car seat. Not a perfect solution but it works well enough for many.

By the way, over-encumbered and tired parents/guardians seem to be less likely to be as alert in mitigating the risk of a child getting injured or worse while at or around airports or otherwise traveling. So carrying your own car seat on the trip by air may help in that you are more likely to know how to install it properly, but such transport and use comes with its own set of risks. Then again, the rental car company car seats may also be of questionable strength due to handling and age.
They explained that they would not fix it in the car as they would not take the risk this to me just makes it worse. It is total corporate arse covering rather providing customer service.

Here is an idea hertz why don't you train your staff how to fix the car seats into the cars. This way everyone wins, You mitigate your risk as your staff will know what they are doing. I get the service I expected as nowhere on their website do they say they do not fix the car seat into the car. And most importantly my son is safer as he gets a car seat installed by someone who knows what they are doing rather than a dad who has never installed one before (I don't own a car) trying to work out how to do it for the first time after being travelling for 24hrs.