FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passport query
Thread: Passport query
View Single Post
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:31 am
ahmetdouas

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by navylad
Did the boarder force agent who caused the damage give you any confirmation that they caused the damage. It doesn't sound like a replacement is currently necessary from your description. If they did provide you with some evidence, keep it with your passport in case it is ever questioned, if they didn't you could raise it as a complaint to BF (link here), then keep their response letter as confirmation for BA or any boarder agency. I wouldn't go spending extra money for no reason.

They are unlikely to allow you to renew your passport at 2 years, particularly using the 1 day service; think it is likely to raise un-necessary alarm bells and as you say, a damaged replacement, in theory including a Chip not working, can use the 1 week maximum service.
You can still try the 1 day service and plead with them to do it on the spot as you are worried the passport may be rejected.
They do say '1 week service for damaged passports', but it is at the discretion of the Home Office representative.

I did the one day service in March 2016 in London and my passport was in an awful state after 9 years of hard use without a passport wallet. They threatened to say it was so damaged that it should be the one week service and in fact i had to write on the comments section of the passport application 'passport damaged due to excessive wear and tear', then they allowed me to collect the new passport the same day, as in 4 hours later!