FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Flying to London on DL
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 17, 7:24 pm
bgriff

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
Couple questions on my upcoming flight next week.

I'm flying MSP/LHR on a 767-300 and am in Seat 2A. I'm carrying on this flight and a friend of mine is claiming seat 2A on some aircraft has a smaller overhead bin and I might want to change my seat since I'm carrying on. I've flown in Seat 2A a few times but can't remember if it was ever on a 767-300 and don't remember the bin being smaller than any other bin.

I am planning on doing a lot of shopping in LHR and wondering if I'll have a problem with security if I have my rollerbag and a backpack and a large shopping bag. I usually check a bag from LHR so have never encountered this problem before. I am sure everything will fit in the bin (I'm in seat 3A returning same aircraft to DTW).

Other thing I am wondering about is if the Duty Free stores still sell Orange Truffel or Biscotti Baileys. London duty free is the only place I can find it at.
You'll be fine. The bins in the center section of the 767 are smaller than usual but the ones on the outside are at least as big as standard narrowbody bins, and go all the way up to the front of the cabin. (Some newer widebodies have a crew rest above the center of the business class cabin and so lack overhead bins in the center in the first few rows, but the 767 doesn't.)

As a favor to everyone else, putting your backpack and shopping bags in the center overhead bins will leave more space for rollerbags on the outside since most of them don't fit in the middle.

As for security, presumably you won't yet have the shopping bag when you clear security if your shopping is taking place at the airport, so you should be fine. The only thing security at LHR particularly seems to care about is an obsessively thorough enforcement of the liquids baggie rule.