FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China without a visa
View Single Post
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:37 am
bajong

Programs: UA 1K/3.7MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Natl Exe Elite
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Sure, but I would be more worried about United's ability to get you there / from there

I have done three of these trips, which means to / from PEK which went fine, first to / from PVG also fine, last trip not so much ....

All excited as I scored my first and only OpUp (as did a LOT of elites when it turned out that a big tour group was all there with zero no shows), alas a few days before my return trip got an email from UA that PVG-SFO for my return date (and ONLY that date) was cancelled.

Sure enough, you could not buy a ticket for this date, the United cargo site did not show the flight ...

Several phone calls later after at least TWO agents insisted that "yes, there is a flight that day" finally got someone to recognize the fact that NO, there is no flight TO or FROM on that day and got rerouted via KIX, so lost my last day in Shanghai due to early morning departure.

I realize that I am almost certainly an outlier, but that was part of FOUR year run where I lost a day of vacation due to UA mechanicals and cancelled flights every year

TWOV, OTOH, never a problem, especially in Asia where they probably see more of that.

I've read through the TWOV thread and still am unsure about my situation.

My wife and I live in Hawaii and will be taking a cruise that sails out of Shanghai on 10/17/17. We plan to leave Hawaii on 10/14 and fly through Guam on UA and connect to Shanghai arriving on 10/15. We want to spend 2 nights in Shanghai, then Board the cruise ship on 10/17. Our cruise is for 12 days and ends in Hong Kong on 10/29. We fly from Hong Kong to Guam that day then connect to Honolulu arriving the on he same day.

When I read the rules, it appears that we qualify for the TWOV program, but I wanted to verify this before our cruise. Can anyone offer some help on my interpretation of the rules?

Thanks in advance.