FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thanksgiving MR: How AA's new LAX-HKG 77W service slays CX in J...or not? (+ Tokyo)
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:39 am
G-CIVC

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
1.5 days in Tokyo

Tokyo is my favorite city so one day is better than nothing, the question would be how to maximize it. It doesn't help either that at such time of the year, it was completely dark by 5 pm

I jumped on the Skyliner and connected to the metro to get to my hotel in Tsukiji market (as I could get sushi next morning and to HND conveniently the morning after. Plus it was cheap!)

Once everything was settled, I headed to Shinjuku for an evening stroll and some ramen. You can say everything just never gets old to me

Another iconic building in Ginza as I walked back to my hotel from there:

I'm gonna honestly confess that I've stayed here before to attempt to make it to Sushi Dai only to have failed in the past. So this time I was determined and got going at 4am, an hour before it opened. That's actually considered late but here's when the solo traveler beats everyone else, I was let in after less than 2 hours of waiting.

Sushi Dai

OOOOMMMMGGG, I'm a repeat visitor and I know yeah many people say it's not worth the wait. But it really cannot be beaten in value and quality for just 4000 yen.

Once I was done Tokyo was already in bright daylight. I'm glad my hotel was just here so I could crash again as it was actually just rather early in the morning.

I set out again for an early lunch, and the crowds simply did not subside. As a fan of sea urchin, I went to a place that was famous for their uni don (sea urchin rice bowls). A bit pricey but didn't disappoint either

After lunch, I set off for Aoyama, a district that I've been to relatively less. Little that I know that coincidentally it was the season for Autumn leaves and I walked into a garden famous for containing such scenery, known as Meijijingugaien (the outer garden of Meiji Shrine...)

Pictures can't do much justice of how stunning it was, nor can my phone. But it might for evidence of some imperialism around

Next stop was Meiji Shrine and Omotesando, places that never get old again.

Not sure if the Japanese celebrate Thanksgiving, but it was very very crowded. I popped into Omotesando Hills, an upscale shopping complex that featured very nice Christmas lights already set up:

Next stop was more food at an Israeli chocolate bar in the same complex where I had some of the fanciest and tastiest iced chocolate drinks I've ever had in my life.

I then moved on to Harajuku to visit some of my favorite fashion boutiques before getting a spot at Red rock, yet another famous eatery for dinner. It specializes in a volcanic-looking rice bowl topped with raw roasted beef, eggs and yogurt, and it was truly phenomenal

Last stop of the evening was Shibuya as I continued to look for things I might buy, but I guess a short trip is good as time is up by the time you make up your mind

Shibuya is yet another place that never gets old for me. I was still stuffed so decided to make my way back to the hotel early, passing through Ginza and of course I couldn't resist my temptation at the nearby Lawson