FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Glad I didn't succumb to plane envy!
View Single Post
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:00 pm
scnzzz

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
They aren't easy to clear on SFOEWR for sure; in my days before GS I haven't been able to clear into R ever (I usually book 2 weeks out max due to schedule uncertainty, usually too close in to stand a chance) ... these days those clear into PN for me which is usually less rare. But even so this involves careful flight selection.

When ten plus pax step forward at GS pre-boarding for a 752; yeah, the odds of anyone else clearing are thin.

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
You're incorrect. You're going off the 'upgrade tab' on the app and that doesn't show all upgrades. I (and many others on these forums) fly PS monthly or more and we use RPU's To sit in the front cabin.

We don't clear into the upgrade list that you're judging based based on your metrics and neither do tons of other people. I clear in advance. T-24,T-96, sometimes T-7 days out. I buy the cheapest economy fare so I'm not buying Y,B,M.

Go read the RPU thread. It'll clarify that everything I said as fact. Many of us are happy with our success with RPU's and have yet to miss an upgrade all year.
Can I ask if your PS flights are SFO or LAX (guessing the latter based on your handle)? From what I've seen SFO tends to have a higher GS load just because of the volume UA funnels through there. I've seen 20+ GS on TATL more than once (I really doubt 5% of the MP base (or even 2%) - or 20 pax on a 744, give or take - are GS).

Obviously, a higher GS concentration (if such is the case in SFO, which I believe it is) will affect the ability of others to clear, particularly on business-heavy routes like EWR or IAD.

I guess what I'm saying is YMMV. Obviously some routes are less easy than others.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 19, 2017 at 8:51 pm