FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:23 am
laxmillenial

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by dc89
IFE was broken on UA110 EWR-LHR last Tuesday (6/13). I never plan to use it on the old 767s with the tiny crappy screens anyway, but I felt pretty bad for everyone who boarded without other plans only to discover that not only was there no IFE but the alternative "personal device entertainment" wasn't really realistic given the lack of outlets in Economy. Also felt bad for the flight attendants who had to put up with a lot of complaining about something they couldn't do anything about, but it would be nice if United could do some kind of automated notification to passengers long enough prior to boarding that people could pick up magazines, books, etc. By landing, I had an email offering 8750 miles or, I think, $150 ETC (as always I took the miles).
While I think they have systems in place to notify everyone on a particular flight, I believe they don't do this because it adds more work and because it is possible that an airframe is swapped out at the last minute.