FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any Ideas When Diners Club might take New Applications Again?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:35 pm
LAXRuss

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Any Ideas When Diners Club might take New Applications Again?

I had the Diners Club card for about 15 years. Then about 10 years ago I cancelled the card because I was annoyed that they charged me a late fee for not making a payment in the same statement period when I had received an equivalent credit. AMEX does not do that, but Diners Club did in the late 2000's. Now after having regret, I find for years they no longer accept any applications to come back to the fold.

Naturally one of the biggest benefits for travelers is the Chip & PIN feature, but the multiple points transfers is a nice feature too. I always was annoyed at the 3% FOREX fee. Recently at least I discovered that my State Department Federal Credit Union (SDFCU) has opportunities for virtually any U.S. resident to join and they allow their credit card holders to choose between a primary Chip & Signature and Chip and PIN card. They are about the only bank I know that allows the selction, but the Chip & PIN, like the Diner's Club, works out well. Recently I was in Mexico where the gas station claimed they could not take foreign credit cards. I showed the cash to fill up the car, but at the end when I insisted to use my credit card, they were amazed that my SDFCU card processed easily as Chip & PIN, just as Diner's would. Thus, I would like to come back to Diners for the rewards program, but at least I have a no fee no FOREX chip & pin card unless they choose to take applications again.