FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Outfitting your travel kit for USB-C
View Single Post
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:16 am
BenA

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
why? There's usb-a and usb-c lightning cables.

-David
The eventual goal is to not have any special cabling: to have one charger with a bunch of USB-C cables exclusively in my bag.

For now, I still carry a USB-A to Lightning cable, of course - not a big deal, since most of the chargers currently on the market offer plenty of legacy A ports, and A ports will be present for decades to come on airplanes as an inseat power source.

But I'd love to veto that cable from my bag and move to C on all my devices; rumor is that Apple will actually make that change with this fall's batch of iPhones (just in time for hotels all around the world to have finally swapped out their iHome dock connector alarm clocks for Lightning models...)

Come to think of it, if I were an airline, I'd be talking to my seat manufacturer about potentially including USB-C PD ports in new aircraft orders. It might end up being useless in the long run like the old ethernet ports most carriers are still hauling around, but the odds of that get less likely with each new device that's released...