FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA: Blue Business Plus, 2X ALL spend, cap $50k/yr. $300 Dell,FedEx,Docusign credit.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:55 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cdog999
Are MR really that valuable? I have a few other 2%+ cards (Spark, Arrival+) but if it would be valuable to generate 100K MR a year then maybe its worth it to get this card over one of the Delta cards. I guess the question for me is how much more valuable is 100K MR than $1000 or $1050? If these were Chase UR I know I calculate those as about 1.8c as that's what I get transferring to Hyatt, but I'm not a MR expert.
1 Amex MR point = 1 DL mile (in transfers), so if you're comparing against getting a Delta card, it seems simplest to compare Delta miles to Amex MR points, no?

It's much more complicated to compare MR points against dollars, so if you're weighing only MR points vs Delta miles, and they're convertible 1:1 (one way) between the two, why not just look at that way for simplicity?

I can't tell you exactly (or even approximately) how valuable Delta miles are because (1) I don't know how you'll use them and (2) there's a lot of argument out there about how to value business class or first class international fares that you redeem for but would never really pay cash for. Nevertheless, if you feel because of your redemptions that DL miles are worth 2 or more cent per mile, then Amex MR transferred to DL would be worth exactly the same (but obviously only if used for those kinds of flights).

DL miles value depends a lot on whether you'll use them only when they present high value (low redemption rates compared to cash cost), or if you'll use them no matter what the value.