FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences {Archive}
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:18 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Richym99
Trying to book a provisional flight to CMH from LHR for the end of the month, but not totally sure of the dates yet. The chosen route, via IAH has only 3 seats left in K so wanted to do a fare lock.

Trying to book, I am not offered a fare lock option. Have also tried booking avoiding United Express flights with the same result.

Anyone think of a reason why fare lock would not be available?
entire itinerary is UA/UAX, yes? (I know, just making double sure).

Another common reason I've seen farelock not offered is if it goes beyond a rule threshold, particularly Advance purchase. So for example, if the fare requires a 21 day advance purchase and you are 22 days out, it rarely gets offered. In any case, UA basically says it's offered at their discretion, and may not be offered on every itinerary. Just a guess, but if K=3, perhaps they are basically offering the chance for you to get it today at the lower price, or take your chances and have to buy it at L, S, T or whatever he next lowest class is available.

If you can deal deal with a decision in 24 hours, best bet is to buy now, then use the 24 hour policy to cancel.