FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:42 pm
Smiley90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Kacee
The nature of standby is you won't be confirmed in advance. Go to the gate around T-30. Ask the agent where you are on the list and how it looks. Then wait at the gate until they close the door. Unless the flight is overbooked, there's a very good chance you'll clear.
Originally Posted by EmailKid
OK, since you've never done this before, FIRST step if SDC does not clear is to get to the gate. IIRC UC agent can put you on standby list, but I like to do it in person at the gate. An hour to 45 minutes before scheduled departure for domestic. Then I go back to UC, but only for a few minutes, or not at all if it's a long walk.

Um, if they close the door and you are not inside ..... at any rate, as Gold, you should be near #1 on standby, at least that is my experience on NON hub-hub routes.

So agree with Kacee, if flight is not oversold, there is a VERY good chance you will get on. Just check the app or screen at the gate and you will see where you are on the standby list. Back when I was 1K had a few instances where I was #1 on standby, and then snag the last FC seat once I cleared into coach

As Gold, I'm happy to clear into E+
awesome, thanks guys.

I have a 9h layover in my schedule but there's a flight leaving 5h in so I'm really hoping I can catch the earlier one. :P