FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is getting 1K worth it? Regular paid J flyer.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:08 pm
The_Virus360

Programs: United 1K, Air Canada P25K, Nexus
UA YVR-EWR is a domestic recliner in J, not lie flat. Pretty uncomfortable ride for a 6 hour flight.
UA does connecting flights through ORD and DEN to EWR/LGA as well, I think they only have one daily non-stop in that 739. I might actually prefer the connecting flight in this case due to the use of narrow body a/cs, it's nice to get up and walk around the airport for a bit.

But if I'm paying for J on YVR-EWR, I think I'm choosing AC on the 787 or CX on the 77W.
I have flown AC J on the 788 from YVR to EWR and I think it goes without saying that it blows UA domestic first recliners out of the water. That being said, it's also c$3,500 for AC J, whereas UA J is ~ c$1,300 for the connecting flight through ORD/DEN.

Sure, if the price is right.
Exactly.

If their very thin schedules fit your schedule.
Many more options for connecting flights.

Anyone other than @findark have an opinion as to whether 1K is worth it for my situation? Any good/bad experiences with UA irrops for 1Ks here?

Also, another point I just thought of - since I would be flying J most of the time, except for leisure (5x per year max due to my schedule, as I mentioned) wouldn't the Priority Access benefits be moot most of the time, as they're included in the J ticket? Do 1Ks get a dedicated check-in, separate from domestic first, gold etc. at EWR/LGA? What about boarding priority? I'm usually an AC flyer, so excuse me for not knowing this.