FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weekly Commuting by Air
View Single Post
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:39 pm
Sarah12

Originally Posted by pshuang
Perhaps consider driving to/from Ontario Airport and flying Southwest. Especially if your work commute schedule might eventually drop down to not every single week but unpredictably.

Choosing Southwest would allow you to book every single week long in advance (establishing a ceiling for how much you'd have to pay) and over time keep an eye on sales when you can rebook existing tickets at the lower sale price with no change fee. You do have to manually keep track of the record locators that have excess TTF [ticketless travel funds] to apply the saved monies toward future bookings. And if there's a week when you don't have to travel to the home office at all, just cancel the corresponding ticket(s) and use the entire TTF toward future bookings. (Note you're pretty consistently better off on Southwest to book your travel as two one way tickets instead of a single round trip ticket.) This cancellation need might come up for business travel to other locations: if a NYC business trip comes up for you then you won't need your tickets from SoCal to NorCal that week.
Thanks for the info. The only problem is ONT is about one and a half hour drive from my home and that's with no traffic. Being only 15 minutes from PSP, my husband can pick me up and drop me off and I can avoid airport parking and I can spend more time with my family when I only have 2 days before I would have to return to the Bay area for the week.