FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Designing a Credit Card for United Elites
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:28 am
ermintrude

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by boat9781
Today, the biggest upside Elites get with the Explorer card is upgrades on award tickets. That's a material benefit and is why I keep my card year after year.
That's the only reason I and probably most high elites keep the card but I don't think it's a published benefit.

The Club card does waive the close in mileage fee for lower elite tiers, and that can add up.
IMO the club card is aimed at 2 types of people <1K and very frequent domestic flyers. Next year I have no intention of being a member of UA club (50% of the reason I used them was the showers) but will have a couple of 'emergency' one day passes if needed.

That said, United has seemed to have removed itself from offering a credit card product for United road warriors and/or high spenders. The Mileage Plus select card I still carry (pre merger, no longer offered) remains compelling to me.

3x points: united.com purchases
2x points: restaurants, gas, groceries, home improvement, star alliance
1x: everything else

Up to $5000 PQMs, 1 PQM per dollar spent on United.com. Treated as true PQM (unlike presidential plus).

Annual fee $95, 5000 bonus miles every account aniversary.

Why do you think United hasn't re-offered a card like this? Less focused on offering costly waivers but instead is designed for the 100K/ year flier? What would you like to see?

My wishlist: PQM for $ spent on United.com up to $5000 but also a 5000 PQM bonus for hitting $50K spend.
The main card I use at the moment is SPG as it effectively gives me 3X points on everything for Marriott. Not sure what I want from a UA card (that they would provide) other than the availability to get upgraded on award flights - but GS gets that anyway - If UA gave 1Ks that benefit I would dump my explorer card. The Mileage Plus select card wouldn't attract me now either.