FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Poland Itinerary
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:58 am
TravelDream

Originally Posted by general45
I arrive in Krakow in July for a 4 day stay. I really want to avoid the all day tour buses to Auschwitz and have researched hiring a private car with driver for 100 Euros. Has anyone else done this? Comments provided pro or con or a particular company they would recommend would be appreciated. Thanks.
I've been to Auschwitz twice. Once by private car and once by local train service. Both times were out-of-season, but both times the sites were pretty busy. Wouldn't fancy going in July TBH.
Going by car is, of course, far more convenient as the driver collected us from our apartments and drove us between Auschwitz and Birkenau. We went by car as an elderly grandmother was with us. From memory we paid about 80-90 zloty each (this was a few years ago), so 100 Euros would be quite similar.
The train was slower and slightly more complicated - but a fraction of the price. It really depends on you.

Another place I found really interesting in Krakow is Nowa Huta. Built as a new city by the communists as an 'ideal' city. Very gritty and local with stunning architecture.
I'd be tempted to knock a night of Zakopane and add one to Krakow - unless you want to focus more on hiking/ mountain relaxation.

I'd also add a recommendation for Polskibus as PKP trains can be very slow. Also, don't take a hire car to Krakow as it is impossible to park in the centre without a resident's permit.