FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IHG to launch new midscale brand
View Single Post
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:45 am
submonte

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by fppmongo
It's pretty uncontroversial that HI is upper midscale, just like BW+, Clarion, Comfort Inn, Park Inn, Country Inn & Suites, Hampton Inn, Tryp by Wyndham, Fairfield Inn & Suites, Home2Suites, ...
Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn/Holiday Inn Express are two different categories.

Holiday Inn is a Full Service brand and upscale. It has a restaurant, a variety of room types incl. suites and eventually room service, a pool. However there is a variety of Holiday Inn Hotels which makes you feel sometimes staying at different categories but with same brand.

Hampton by Hilton is a limited service brand and midscale such as Holiday Inn Express. No real restaurant, only breakfast and snacks. Standard room types.

It could not been proven yet that the "Tru by Hilton" concept - if that is what IHG wants to copy - will be successful. I understood this is a kind of low service category of hotel with lower costs for the owners to build it and to run it. It is promoted as a "hip" concept to younger people. I read about a different breakfast concept also, and lobby concept (like Moxy maybe). I am not in the hotel industry but that is what I understood. If finally the (younger) guests pay less and feel better than in a HIX or Hampton is the question.

Personally I do believe IHG should work also on the premium and luxury segment. More Crowne Plazas, upgraded to small InterContinentals, plus IC, Kimpton and Indigo to form a luxury group with better footprint. Eventually reactivate the Holiday Inn Select brand in addition. A brand above IC is missing, like Park Hyatt, Ritz Carlton. Maybe IHG and Hyatt should join forces. IHG knows better to run midscale and lower upscale, Hyatt knows upper upscale and luxury better IMHO. Premium/luxury both know to run (IC, Grand Hyatt).

Last edited by submonte; Jun 8, 2017 at 2:15 pm